Inspired by the flavors of Hawaii, these pancakes are sure to make you feel as though you are soaking up the sun and enjoying the sea breeze. Macadamia nuts and bananas are popular ingredients in Hawaii, and are so delicious in this dish. A quick and easy recipe, these pancakes are perfect for any meal!
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 2 tablespoons white sugar
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 egg
– 1 cup milk
– 1 ripe banana, sliced
– 1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
– 2-3 tablespoons butter (for greasing the pan)
– 1 can coconut milk (13.5 ounces)
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1 teaspoon corn starch
1. Gather a small saucepan, skillet pan, mixing bowl, whisk, spoon, and spatula.
2. In the small saucepan, combine coconut milk, vanilla extract, sugar, and corn starch. Set pan on medium-high heat until syrup comes to a boil, and then reduce to low-medium heat for approximately 20 minutes. Allow the syrup to simmer until it thickens slightly, then remove from heat and allow syrup to cool (it will continue to thicken).
3. In the mixing bowl combine the dry pancake mix ingredients (flour, salt, sugar, baking powder). Once combined, make an indentation in the middle and pour in milk, the egg, and vegetable oil. Stir until just combined, trying to eliminate any lumps (it is fine if some remain).
4. Preheat your skillet pan/cooking surface to medium heat (350 degrees). Once heated, add a tablespoon of butter to grease the skillet. Using a 1/3 cup measure, pour batter onto skillet. Place banana slices and macadamia nuts on pancakes.
5. Let pancakes cook until bubbles are forming on top of batter. Once bubbles are forming, the pancakes are ready to flip. Flip pancakes and allow to cook on the opposite side for a few minutes.
6. Remove pancakes from skillet. Plate the pancakes and top with coconut syrup. These pancakes are great eaten alone, or can be served with other fresh fruits, breakfast sausage, bacon, or any other breakfast favorites.
#pancakes #coconut #hawaii #banana #macadamia #fromscratch